Liberal? Conservative? I think not…
As I watch politics unfold in Canada, the USA, and elsewhere, I have some observations to make:
- Wanting to actually help people – especially disadvantaged people – does not make a person liberal, it just makes that person human.
- Wanting to punish people for being disadvantaged does not make a person conservative, it just makes that person a dick.
- Wanting to punish people for being rich, or actively trying to knock them down, does not make a person liberal, it just makes that person a dick.
- Believing and supporting personal freedom does not make you conservative… it’s actually a very liberal position.
- Believing and supporting personal freedom universally over the greater interest of civilization does not make you conservative either, it simply makes you a self-centered asshole, and possibly a crazy hermit. We tend to call these people libertarian.
- Believing and supporting personal freedom as long as everyone is legally required to adhere your god says does not make you conservative… it makes you a theocrat (and a hypocrite).
- Using the weight of government to transfer money from the poor to the rich doesn’t make you conservative, it makes you a kleptocrat.
- Supporting the supremacy of the group over any individual good doesn’t make you liberal, it makes you fascist. Don’t think so? Look at every white supremacist organization, Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, the USSR, Cuba… they were/are all about the good of the many totally outweighing the good of the one to the point of extremism.
- If random immigrants, illegal or otherwise, can out-compete you for your job, it’s probably well-past time you used your awesomeness to upgrade your job skills.
- If you think using cannabis is evil or something that only messed-up people do doesn’t make you conservative, and if you also smoke anything or drink alcohol, you are a hypocrite.
- Thinking cannabis is OK in moderation doesn’t make you liberal, but you’re logically consistent as you sit there with fag and glass of scotch.
- Not voting doesn’t make you an edgy protester. It’s almost the same as voting for your least preferred candidate just to mess with people. Basically, it makes you a dick.